Topic: How do you stream Atari 2600?

Posted by on 2014-07-08 09:34:53

I want to be able to stream my atari 2600 gameplay and get my console and controller in the shot. How do I do that?

Posted by on 2014-07-08 09:36:38

Two webcams. X-Split.

Posted by on 2014-08-21 00:53:32

I second Sixx's response. An alternative and which I use is OBS set to record instead of stream.

Posted by on 2014-09-07 05:44:16

This has been eluding me for years. 

The issue is that the Atari games have different scan lines per game. 

The Dazzle DVC-100 works great, paired with AmarecTV doing the deinterlacing. 

I have been trying to find a way to do it reliably inside of OBS in itself, without using another program.

Blend works great but for games like Spider Fighter, no matter what I set, I just get blurs. 

My HDMI upscaler loves everything, even on s-video... but my Atari. Every few seconds the screen blanks and resyncs itself. This happens also on an unmodified Atari as well, running it through a VCR. 

My AverMedia Dark Crystal HD does S-video also. Better than the Dazzle. But I am still getting blur on games like Spider Fighter. Games like Journey Escape are fine. 

I have a couple TV tuner cards (working in IT and getting old parts has its perks) that I am going to try directly. If I get a steady signal with that, then I will just sacrifice the crispness of the video mod for stability. 

Posted by on 2016-11-15 07:02:52

I have got everything to work fine on the 2600.

It was simple, really. It was my CPU that was my bottleneck.

Being I am just recording a direct capture, I do the Ultrafast setting, and 20000 bit rate for recording. The file is big, but it's a pure 60fps, with zero artificats. 

For streaming, I have to crank the FPS down to 48 fps, very fast, 2500 constant bit rate. 

I can use either my Dazzle or my capture card, using the retro deinterlacing. If you have a little more processing power, you can go to Yadif 2x.

Posted by on 2017-02-28 08:20:37

Even with an unmodified Atari, this setup works well for me. My TV has composite out available, on no matter which option that I use that's video in. This allows me to even capture my Radioshack TV Scoreboard. RF in, Composite out, into my capture card.

Posted by on 2017-02-28 08:22:22

@keilbaca:

I was just about to come here to ask about using one of those USB TV Tuners since I only have a laptop. 

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_dualhd.html

This one looks like it will work on an unmodded 7800, but has anyone actually tried this? I just don't want to pay $75 for a product that won't allow me to record game footage directly. Besides, it would save me having to mod the 7800. I haven't had luck with modded systems so far. 

Posted by on 2017-05-21 10:26:18

I have never used that product. I am unsure how well it'll work out.

Honestly, with how much time and effort that I have put into this thing... you're probably just better off using a Sony HDR-CX405 for under $200 and just do straight 60fps screen pointing recording.

Posted by on 2017-06-06 06:57:42