In this thread, we will make High Score great again.
Here are some ideas and feedback that I'd like to see on this site. As a disclaimer, I don't believe this site is dead or dying or bad but I believe that this site can be improved a lot. I am also not a genius and these might easily have major flaws which is why I present them here so they could be improved even more.
1. Ability to change info in scores while waiting for votes
Why remove and resubmit the score when you could:
- Change game name, score or game system.
- Remove duplicate or obsolete evidence.
Risks and flaws: Score change could be abused, which is why you can only edit name, system or score when it is being pointed out. More about that in a minute.
2. More complex voting system
There seems to be two issues with the current voting system. First one is that there are people who votes NO without a solid reason. The second one is that voters might just spam YES instead and that might give bad scores a thumbs up by accident. While currently I do not have an idea to fix the latter issue, I do have a draft that could fix the abuse of NO vote. The system is quite simple.
- When someone presses NO, they have to provide a reason why they believe this score is not legit, just like now.
- This reason will be public in the score page. (NO voter remains anonymous)
- Score submitter can reply to this NO vote and try to fix the issue.
- After the reply, two new votes will pop out in the score page. First one is about if NO vote is still valid and second one is about if reason to vote NO was reasonable.
- If NO vote is no longer valid, it can be removed. If issue wasn't fixed, NO vote remains and lowers legit rating.
- If NO vote was reasonable, user that voted NO will get bonus points for pointing it out. Unreasonable votes will get absolutely nothing.
Because this sounds really tough on paper, let me provide few examples.
- User A submits a score. User B notices that the game is in wrong category and presses NO for this reason.
- User A changes the category and replies that this was his mistake and it has been fixed.
- User B, C, D, E and F are all voting that the NO vote is no longer valid due User A has fixed the error.
- User C, D, E and F also votes that User B (who is still anonymous) had a reasonable reason to press NO and therefore he will get extra points.
- User A submits a score. User B presses NO and uses reason Other without any text filled.
- User A claims that User B didn’t provide a solid reason.
- While User B votes that the NO vote is still valid, C, D, E and F disagrees and NO vote will be removed.
- User C, D, E and F votes that User B’s vote was unreasonable and he will not be awarded any points.
- User A submits a score. User B presses NO and demands a video due the score being really high.
- User A is unable to provide a video but still attempts to submit the score.
- User B, C, D and E votes that NO vote is still valid while F disagrees. NO vote will stay.
- User C, D, E and F also votes that User B had a reasonable reason to press NO and therefore he will get extra points.
Risks and flaws: Scores will be waiting a little bit longer depending how it will be abused. What about issues that are not easy to fix (reputation, simply not trusting the submitter)?
3. Award users for huge voting contribution
While you get a lot of awards and trophies for spamming scores all over the place, voters do not get a lot of things. There should be a trophy (with bonus points just like normal trophies) for voting milestones, like 100, 500, 1000, 1500, etc.
Risks and flaws: People will smash that YES button without a second thought. Something needs to implemented before going for this addition.
4. Combine emulated and non-emulated scores
I know what you are thinking but hear me out. Currently the game list looks like a mess with each game having emulated section as well. It would be better to combine these two into one page and from there, seperate emulated scores with actual hardware. In combined section, emulated scores could have an icon indicating that they are emulated. It's hard to explain so here's a screenshot instead.
When user is submitting a score, user will be asked if the score is emulated or not.
Risks and flaws: I see none.
5. Forum & comment fixes
Currently this forum is missing basic functions such as:
- Icons showing if there are new posts in subforum or thread.
- In addition to date the latest post was made, it should also tell who sent the post.
- Editing and deleting posts.
Users should also be able to mention users manually instead of clicking reply. This is why if the poster want to mention multiple users in one post.
Risks and flaws: I see none.
6. Fix performance issues
Apparently if you try to load a profile page with a lot of comments, the whole site just freezes up. In another words, this can be used as DDoS.
Risks and flaws: It would be more risky to not have it fixed.
Let me know what do you think about these ideas, how they could be improved and bring your own ideas in this thread. Obviously, we need Serious here as well.
Ending this OP with GIF of me making this post.