Topic: Oklahoma, checking in

My name's Grant, 34 years old. I own three arcade cabs (Pac-Man, Mouse Trap, TMNT) all of which were converted or MAMEified by previous owners. I try to do restoration work on them whenever I get some free time. I also own a Black Pyramid pinball machine (my friend has the top score right now which really irritates me) and my three favorite consoles at the moment are probably Atari 2600, NES, and Genesis, which happen to be the first three consoles I ever owned, in that order. Other hobbies: reading, writing, watching movies, science fiction, crime fiction, and horror. 

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the comments and the help. I probably won't be very active for a few weeks due to my work schedule right now, but I'll try to vote whenever I get a chance.

Posted by on 2018-02-01 22:02:39

Hello and Welcome!  Glad you are here!  I used to go to OVGE as both a vendor and participantin Tulsa.  Did you ever go there? We could have met there before.  I have also attended the show that used to be at the state fairgrounds in OKC.  I don't remember the name of that event.  I used to live in kansas, but now I live in teh Las Vegas area.  I look forward to chatting with you and getting to know you better.  Again, Welcome!  Sean Stewart

Posted by on 2018-02-02 13:52:14

@SeanStewart:

I haven't been to OVGE despite living in Tulsa. It seems I never remember to get tickets to events like that until it's too late. The last time I was in OKC my friend and I went to Cactus Jack's, which is a great arcade, I just wish it were closer.

So is the Vegas pinball museum as cool as it looks? 

Posted by on 2018-02-03 00:03:16

Hi and welcome here. Enjoy gaming.

Posted by on 2018-02-03 01:13:02

@Neurocrasher:

Let me know when you are coming to vegas.  I will show you around!  There are a lot of good retro gamers in OK.  I used to stay there every year for the weekend when OVGE was going on.  It was like a gamers family reunion for me.  Anyways, it is great to see the Pinball Hall of Fame.  There is another locals place that is also good.  www.vegaspinball,com.  The Nationals are being held there on March 1st.

Posted by on 2018-02-03 13:10:09

@Neurocrasher:

I own three arcade cabs (Pac-Man, Mouse Trap, TMNT)

Wow, Mouse Trap!  I used to play that at an arcade not far from here.  Mom thought it was so funny when you grabbed the cheese, started barking and then the cats would meow when you caught them :)

I also own a Black Pyramid pinball machine (my friend has the top score right now which really irritates me) 

Heh!  I'd do that with friends' games and all: "how'd you beat that boss?" Funny stuff.

and my three favorite consoles at the moment are probably Atari 2600, NES, and Genesis,

Hey, that's two out of my three favorite consoles too: 2600 and Genny! (Vectrex is my third favorite.)

Other hobbies: reading, writing, watching movies, science fiction, crime fiction, and horror. 

(looks at avatar for the latter) Really, you're kidding!

Welcome aboard!

Posted by on 2018-02-03 13:21:14

@Neurocrasher: Good to have you here!!
Posted by on 2018-02-04 03:01:52

@DarrylB:

I've actually been on the lookout for a Vectrex, Darryl. They just seem kind of expensive when you start collecting games complete with overlays. The cost of shipping on eBay listings is more than I'm willing to pay (are they really that heavy?) and I've never seen one at a flea market or anything like that.

Posted by on 2018-02-04 18:24:59

@Neurocrasher:

I've actually been on the lookout for a Vectrex, Darryl.

Good luck!

They just seem kind of expensive when you start collecting games complete with overlays.

Yeah, a bit.  Luckily there's a lot of homebrew stuff available for cheaper (some are), if not for free.

The cost of shipping on eBay listings is more than I'm willing to pay (are they really that heavy?)

Eleven pounds, hence why its been argued as to whether or not the system IS truly one of the first "portable" consoles (I think it is).

and I've never seen one at a flea market or anything like that.

Neither have I, and there's plenty here in town.

Btw, forgot to mention I'm just south of you in Texas.  In the world wide web, that makes us pretty much next door neighbors!

Posted by on 2018-02-04 18:40:18