Topic: Service unavailable

Anyone else keep getting this message? Apart from the that the site seems to be very slow lately for me. Another annoying error is the 'for resubmission' thing (or something like that) when going back a page after searching for a game. 

Apart from that im still loving it yes

Posted by on 2017-02-19 07:19:53

I have gotten the service unavailable message a few times over the past 3 weeks.  I just "Try Back Later", lol.

Posted by on 2017-02-19 10:50:28

@Benzi: It's a shame that this site's becoming abandoned.
Posted by on 2017-02-20 00:30:48

I agree.

Does anyone know if he rents out this server, or is it housed in his house? 

If it's rented, maybe we can throw some donations around so that we can upgrade it.

Posted by on 2017-02-20 12:09:57

@Benzi:

I get that message occasionally when entering a score.  I just go to my homepage if that happens, and the score will be there.  then click "add evidence" & that works out for me.

Posted by on 2017-02-21 17:33:52

@keilbaca:

good idea!

Posted by on 2017-02-21 17:35:30

@Benzi:

I ran a few traces and see the site is hosted on Rackspace, so I'm assuming it's a shared rental. As for the "Service Unavailable" message, I get this all the time when trying to hit my profile page directly, and sometimes other pages (ie: Waiting for Votes). When hitting specific game score pages, I have no issues, maybe once in a while a unavailable message. My guess is that because my profile page is so heavy with data (I have 80+ scores waiting to be voted through), that the site times out as it's just too much to handle. Either the MySQL db is timing out, or the code to bind that data to the page is timing out the request. These are all assumptions, but I deal with these sort of issues every day at work.

There's fixes for this, short-term caching, sql query tweaks, or maybe take a step back and make the profile page simplier, or even "on-demand" when it comes to viewing waiting votes, latest messages. If it was me, and like Serious don't have the time right now to optimize this web app, I'd just throw more hardware at it, upgrade my hosting package. Easier said than done.

I would be willing to donate a few $$$ to help the site out, and if I was a PHP/MySQL dev, I've volunteer my services to help (I'm a C# guy, developer for 20+ years now). 

All in all, this web app was a lot of work for one developer (Serious) to kick out. Let's hope in the near future he can address some of the issues when his time frees up. There has been a # of times where I just give up when trying to access the site and try later... frustrating!

Posted by on 2017-03-21 11:16:22

This "Service Unavilable" issue seems to just keep getting worse, and worse. Am I the only one having one hell of a time accessing the site? I haven't been able to view my profile page in day or 2.. Argghhh!! Please fix!

Posted by on 2017-03-26 13:36:15

Yes its been playing up for me lately. I've taken to opening the 'top users/highest scores'/etc pages in different tabs incase I cannot get back to my home page. Anyway, i'd still rather have a slightly unreliable hightscore.com than no highscore.com :)

Posted by on 2017-03-26 13:48:40

@Benzi:

I do the same, but sometimes just hit a game score detail page as those pages load very quickly. Rarely do I get the Service Unavailable response. Agreed, glad we have this site, but frustrating none-the-less.

Posted by on 2017-03-30 11:13:27

The service unavailable message is up and down for me right now, I've had a lot of scores go legit lately but I would love it if serious would take on some of the help you Computer guys offer; the site could go to the level IMO 

Posted by on 2017-04-09 17:43:04

Could go to the NEXT level

Posted by on 2017-04-09 17:43:41

anyone who would like to donate, contact Serious and thank you from those of us who can't afford to!

Posted by on 2017-04-10 17:44:11

I used to vote on a daily basis; unfortunately, the errors happened with such great frequency that I put off voting for a few weeks.  Lo and behold, there's a ton of scores to vote for and the errors made me put them off again.

Finally, tonight:  caught up on all my votes again!  The site actually ran very smoothly tonight, but it took a marathon of voting to catch back up.

Posted by on 2017-04-19 22:00:50

Seems to be solved now. I had zero 'service unavailble' since one week. The site seems also to respond much quicker. only the Top Users tables don't get refreshed since a few weeks.

Posted by on 2017-05-06 14:05:48

Agreed, i haven't had any issues this week. And am all caught up on voting again.
Posted by on 2017-05-11 13:47:42