Super Mario Bros.: One Life Only (NES/Famicom Emulated)

Score: 1,055,250
World Ranking: 1
Scored By: rowcom
96% Legit
rowcom avatar
Comments

Impressive!  Do you sometimes find you second-guessing yourself and wondering if slowing things down was a waste of time and not worth it?

-- Posted by DuggerVideoGames on 2017-11-16 02:48:21   Reply
@DuggerVideoGames:

Yes, I thought about that. The most important thing is surviving though.

I find this category interesting because I haven't seen a truly optimized highscore one life run of Mario. Someone would have to go level by level finding the best way to optimize the points with the timer.

This is the only site I found that recognizes this category. Other high scores listed on the web give the player 4 lives and a limitation on how points can be earned.

Thanks

-- Posted by rowcom on 2017-11-16 07:56:58   Reply

Just finished a 1-life run moments ago.  Beat the game and finished with 732,800 points.  I didn't slow down to mess with the turtles at all (mostly shot them with fireflowers) and I just tried to beat most of the levels as quickly as I could while getting as many coins as I could.  Sadly, there were too many levels where I failed to get the fireworks with the flagpole; mistiming those jumps costs you so many points, especially when you know you screwed up and you're forced to hit the lower parts just to get the correct timing.

-- Posted by DuggerVideoGames on 2017-11-16 10:30:41   Reply
@DuggerVideoGames:

That's an excellent score for just trying it out and running through the game.

I'm kinda curious about what is possible.

-- Posted by rowcom on 2017-11-16 11:33:38   Reply

Is there a difference between to One Life Only category and the [1 life] category?

I've noticed this site has two.

Thanks

-- Posted by rowcom on 2017-11-18 19:55:21   Reply

Looks like there might be a duplicate chart for the one life run on this 

-- Posted by derek on 2017-11-21 20:05:21   Reply
@rowcom: wow nice score ... I've played it but without doing the trick of the extra lives in the turtle ... I thought that doing that was in the cage "Any tactics" .. but seeing that you passed the score .. then let's do that ...
-- Posted by omargeddon on 2017-12-01 10:48:23   Reply
@omargeddon:

In this case you only have one life to play so doing the turtle trick is only for points and doesn't have any other benefit.

Rack up as many points as possible during the course of the game with one life.

That tactic would be more frowned upon doing a multi life run.

-- Posted by rowcom on 2017-12-01 11:17:17   Reply
@rowcom: that's what I mean ... without the turtles I can't reach 1 million ... nice run dude ... you're a good player .. you submit full video, settings ... cheers !!! !
-- Posted by omargeddon on 2017-12-01 11:24:57   Reply