Topic: Time to raise your standards on hardware scores

I see too many hardware scores that were blindly accepted with 100% yes on this site, and some of those people are actually cheaters.

• Stop voting yes on hardware scores that don't show hardware
  • Even if they show hardware, the video should show the game actually being played and earning the points (cheaters know how to power on a hardware on one input of their TV, film that hardware being on while what's on the TV screen is really a save state from an emulator on different hardware (such as emulators on the Wii while they're filming the NES being powered on).

Stop being fooled by cheaters who do these things, as well as using passwords to defeat million-point final bosses to make their score of over a million points look legitimate.

Posted by on 2016-07-04 19:31:37

Yes! I've had this thought many times, and am always confused and disappointed when original hardware isn't shown off. 

Posted by on 2016-07-05 10:08:00

I've had the same issue in the past, I started asking to see the hardware before voting. It seemed to help with a few users as they are still pretty good about it currently.

I don't think we have a cheating problem here on the site even though there are some questionable scores legit, but it's only a fraction of the total scores ever. I think we have more of a lazy problem with some. I know everyone who is using this site regularly has all the hardware that  they post scores with but they simply aren't taking the second photo of the t.v. and console, or at least one of just the hardware. It's bad practice because new people join the site and vote on these scores and get the impression of a low standard of submitting. That's my 2 centssmiley

Posted by on 2016-07-05 20:09:55

@derek:

well said!  I pretty much always show my hardware & the power-up in my videos but I do get lazy with my photo evidences, especially Atari 2600.

Posted by on 2016-07-05 23:47:44

@DuggerVideoGames:

thanks for your comments, I've always thought rampant careless yes-voting is far more of a problem for this site than any amount of no-voting.  A score unjustly rejected can always be re-submitted and no harm has come to the site.  But a huge monster score with crap for evidence that gets accepted is a prolonged nuissance and hard to get removed and it discredits the site.

I do agree with derek, I don't think there's a cheating problem.  People may get a little lazy when it comes to observing/following the rules.   That's where it's up to us to pay attention when voting, it's more of a community *fail* than somebody cheating. 

somebody can even submit a photo of a cat crapping in a box, and if it makes the scoreboard, it was *us* clicking that yes-button that put it there. 

Posted by on 2016-07-06 00:04:30

@S.BAZ:

Was this message posted before or after the picture of a cat crapping in a box?  That was nuts.  :-)

Posted by on 2016-07-14 17:05:28

@Buttons:

after!

yeah, pretty wierd

Posted by on 2016-07-16 17:56:29

If you haven't already check out this thread, the similar topic was discussed at length over there, Draft Flowchart for Voting Maybe it's time to bump it to keep it fresh in voters minds.

Posted by on 2016-07-27 21:51:07

I made a video about this exact thing and provided how the recording should go while demonstrating how easy it is to cheat.

Posted by on 2016-08-02 21:07:55

Derek told me that i should show my hardware so i did, but isnt it enough to show a picture of your hardware and then the gameplay in a video. 
I have finally got a good way to capture my gaming, on older hardware with the SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Megadrive, Amiga etc. I have alot of consoles and i capture the gameplay running through a cheamp upscaler from ebay to my elgato HD60 and then to the TV, and i would get a lousy video if i have to use an external camera to capture the gameplay. 

I hope its enough?

Posted by on 2016-08-03 14:29:43

@Mil7br4nd:

That's ok for me Mil7 and guess too for 99% of the others. We're still having fun. This is a site where trust is important. So, you have to build that up. Don't worry too much. And certainly post some Amiga scores ;)

Posted by on 2016-08-03 15:31:46

@GTibel:

Trust is ok but we are humans and humans make mistakes. Noteably I have cought many honest mistakes. I also have been called out on my own honest mistakes. If we can ignore trust regardless of honestly trusting oneanother it keeps all of us true even threw accdential miss listings. There should be trust and respect to those you personally trust and respect. However to keep things fair that trust needs to be put aside.

Posted by on 2016-08-03 19:22:09

@Mil7br4nd:

It is your evidence and you can provide it as you wish. However if you take the time to show the good quality video and the bad quality video that shows all the equipment and there gameplay matches, well I hadly think you would receave a negitive vote.

You do as you please just know that others such as myself are the kind of person to vote NO. I stopped voting NO and skipp vote now only because there are way to many scores uploaded these days. I think it is unfair for my NO votes to only affect a few while others get away with me not even viewing there evidence. It would be like receaving a random NO vote while an identical video with identical evidence would pass with a 100% This does not mean others will take the action I have. So be awair of this and take it into account when you get a negitive vote.

Posted by on 2016-08-03 19:27:51

Proper evidence.

Posted by on 2016-08-03 19:32:41

@thedarkbanshee:

Taking it the next level whi hardware needs to be shown. This is an old video but still valid.

Posted by on 2016-08-03 19:56:21

You cant change difficulty on the Hardware on SNES, NES etc. so you will vote against those ? 
Insted you should make it obivious, on those systems where you can change settings, that you need proper evidence. 

I think that the evidence i providede, in my games is enough, for my systems, if not then ill just, play on, and do what i do.

If you are good then you will allways be able to cheat...  

Posted by on 2016-08-04 02:12:28

@thedarkbanshee:

I do videos on virtually every score I put up, on my hardware I use a capture card. It's easier to do but leaves out the hardware so I upload a photo of the system with my name tag. I think that's a fair compromise

Posted by on 2016-08-04 12:39:51

Yet with my evidence I can create false videos all day and look extreamly credable even showing the controller being used looking authentic yet may not be. TO DAMN EASY!

Posted by on 2016-08-07 02:40:15

@Mil7br4nd:

If you are good then you will allways be able to cheat?

What does this mean. I ALWAYS show my videos of my skill and gameplay with hardware in the video which prevents me from cheating. I do not think I could cheat if I try and get away with it with the kind of evidence I provide.

Are you saying good authentic players that are not cheating only need video capyure and some pics of hardware?. You see it is those people who are the VICTOMS yet for some reason almost everyone contenue to complain about CHEATERS.

There is only one way to weed them out. STOP providing half of the evidence and show EVERYTHING.

Posted by on 2016-08-07 02:44:32

@derek:

It may be easier and yes you are allowed to post half the evidence and not show all of it. Thats your choice. I also think your evidence score should drop which means No votes are headed in your direction.

Posted by on 2016-08-07 02:45:55

@thedarkbanshee:

It was just my way of saying that there sadlywill always be cheaters, and if the cheater have for an example good skills in editing videos, photoshop etc. then they can. 

It was not to point any fingers at anyone here!  

Posted by on 2016-08-08 10:25:25

@Mil7br4nd:

I did not think you sere pointing fingers. I was trying to understand and put my since of what I thought you might have meant.

Posted by on 2016-08-08 22:36:16

adding a photo of your system with your name tag does improve the evidence a little, but still it does not show that the game was played on that machine.  It just shows that you have that machine.  Showing the system in the video makes it more clear that the score was actually made on that real hardware.

Posted by on 2016-08-10 13:21:34

@S.BAZ:

Exactly.  I have an Atari 7800 machine that was gifted to me after I helped some former neighbors clean their house out; however, I do not know if the damn thing even works at all.  It also appears to be missing a cord.

If I were to do what some others on this site are doing, then I could just snap pics of the Atari 7800 with 2600 or 7800 carts in them and not powered on, and pretend the games were played on those rather than emulators.  I don't do that, as I have not submitted in the hardware category yet for Atari 7800 (need to get around to finding out if the damn thing works first).  I've seen some players recently posting no videos and just pics of their Atari consoles with carts on them, but there's no indication that the consoles are even powered on.  There's no way you're playing an Atari 2600 on an HDTV unless you have some kind of modification to allow that; that's why it's imperative for players to show that the consoles are actually powered on and working (video is always better).

Posted by on 2016-08-10 15:03:25

Well, there has to be a certain level of faith along with it; the full game play is provided which is the bulk of the evidence. I could make video with my whole setup and link it but if you assume everyone is cheating from the get go than what's the point, I could just play on an emulator paste the link and be a cheater. For me, my emulator plays show the emulator loading the game while my console plays typically show the flash of a console powering on along with an everdrive menu which helps prove it was done on a console; but what console? I just linked a video of consoles without showing me playing. I guess I'm a cheaterwink 

Posted by on 2016-08-10 18:21:40

@derek:

I was in no way referring to you, in case you were wondering, Derek.  Like I told you before:  you're one of the trustworthy players in my book.  Some people I don't trust so much; in fact, I was suspicious of one player for a while, and you recently caught him using a continue.  ;-)

Posted by on 2016-08-10 18:28:12

@derek:

I always figure why not just automatically trust everyone & use no-votes whenever the evidence isn't good enough?  That way there's no question of anyone cheating, no need for accusations.  Just ==> does this evidence show that the score belongs on the scoreboard.

Posted by on 2016-08-10 18:45:51

@DuggerVideoGames:

I appreciate that dugger and I remember you telling me that:) 

It was hard for me to try to say that without coming off as slightly aggressive; I reread it a couple times and submitted it regardless. There's no I'll feelings on my end as I know you provide great evidence and are more always than willing to talk about whatever score you've submitted. It shows good character and respect for the charts IMO. 

I try do my best to give the benefit of the doubt when voting on scores with not so much evidence (photo only, 30 second videos), especially with new users. Some people aren't so clear on what's acceptable tactics and such, and a lot of times when asked, they are open about how they did it. It's when people refuse to discuss there scores or what they played on is when red flags go up, for me anyway. We have some long time users here who've never submitted a video and I've voted on at least a thousand of there scores (if not more) because there's been zero evidence that there cheating. 

Anyways dugger, which user did you see I caught using a continue? There's been 2 in the last couple days laugh

Posted by on 2016-08-10 19:32:49

@S.BAZ:

Same here, the second part of my last response above is also meant for you smiley

Posted by on 2016-08-10 19:49:16

@derek:

I was unaware you caught 2 in recent days.  I was referring to Omar when you caught him using a continue on a Street Fighter II game.

Posted by on 2016-08-10 20:37:15

@DuggerVideoGames:

Kane1234 used 15 continues in strider 2 score. It was a 15cc I guess,lol. He's just kid though and hopefully he grows out of that crap

Posted by on 2016-08-10 20:44:39

@derek:

jeezaloo!  15 continues?  laugh

I do believe he's a kid, as you mentioned.  The tone of his posts in regards to videos sounds defiant ("I don't want to do videos"), so that's a big red flag to me that is taken into consideration when observing the scores he posts.

I generally believe in trusting others and the honor system, which is why you see me voting yes on scores by players such as Ichigo when they post pics; however, I do wish more people would post videos when they top a chart, especially for games that DO have cheat codes (like Konami games on the NES, for instance).  I'm not saying those players cheated, but it's easier to believe when video proves you didn't use a 10-lives code or a 30-lives code or whatever other code there is.

Posted by on 2016-08-10 20:48:37

Maybe we should discontinue the NO button during voting, how's that?

Posted by on 2016-08-13 00:35:22

@S.BAZ:

Yeah, About the image of a cat crapping in a litter box, it was really annoying, Baz!

Posted by on 2016-08-13 00:38:30

@ichigokurosaki1991:

I thought it was humerious.

Posted by on 2016-08-13 01:53:30

@thedarkbanshee:

But still, D.B, it's really bothering me.

Posted by on 2016-08-13 01:59:23

@thedarkbanshee:

The first time it was, not the fifth and over.

Posted by on 2016-08-13 10:29:07

The real problem, I feel, was that this site was started by a gamer, for gamers to log their scores and compare scores with other gamers world. In a fun way. I may very well be wrong though! As the site grew, the player's added more evidence to their scores, so photos became less trusted as video footage took over. Unfortunately, it became normal for people to view those who could only upload pictures as maybe cheating, and this is where the site began to change. And it seems as time passed, now even videos are getting more scrutinised. I still every now and then like to check in and see whats happening here, but my interest in uploading photos for my scores has long gone, I haven't logged a score in well over a year because what is the point, someone will assume I'm cheating! To begin with, this site was great fun, and I mean great fun,come home from work, open a beer, play some games and shoot the shit, then the doubting started,I guess that's human nature though. But yeah, it was and is a great site, it just veered off on a tangent that I didn't agree with. My two cents
Posted by on 2016-08-15 13:41:29

The real problem, I feel, was that this site was started by a gamer, for gamers to log their scores and compare scores with other gamers world. In a fun way. I may very well be wrong though! As the site grew, the player's added more evidence to their scores, so photos became less trusted as video footage took over. Unfortunately, it became normal for people to view those who could only upload pictures as maybe cheating, and this is where the site began to change. And it seems as time passed, now even videos are getting more scrutinised. I still every now and then like to check in and see whats happening here, but my interest in uploading photos for my scores has long gone, I haven't logged a score in well over a year because what is the point, someone will assume I'm cheating! To begin with, this site was great fun, and I mean great fun,come home from work, open a beer, play some games and shoot the shit, then the doubting started,I guess that's human nature though. But yeah, it was and is a great site, it just veered off on a tangent that I didn't agree with. My two cents
Posted by on 2016-08-15 14:13:57

@DarrylB:

I only saw it the one time. have not been on here all hat often.

Posted by on 2016-08-16 12:08:18

@ichigokurosaki1991:

It is ok to be bothered by things and express your bothered by it. Though I live in a free Country It would be shameful if it went beyond just bothering you.

Posted by on 2016-08-16 12:10:03

@mechafatnick:

Your correct video is CHEAP these days. Though your not a fan of the desired evidence by users such as myself. Well I never got into Twin galixies because there site is a bit of a joke not the evidence. The site takes to much effert in its self and takes everything WAY TO SERIOUS. Here it is the community. So if the community is asking for better evidence then I will sujust this again.

There needs to be a FUN section that acepts pictures or video footage strictly for fun. While also having a seperate section for full evidence that exposes all there is to tell. Now I already added this under (NO EXPLOITS) to bad I'm the only one to use it and my trophys I earned under them are like a cheat in its self. I can doubble list anything with it and make 2 world trophys while only earning one because you people REFUSE to use it. It seems all the complaning would go away if users that like good evidence stopped voting on normal scores (which I have) and only uploaded under NO EXPLOITS and voted for scores under NO exploits so the other groop of FUN users can post ther FUN photos.

Posted by on 2016-08-16 12:19:31

@thedarkbanshee:

You're lucky, as it got old real fast.  Plus it made no sense when they started doing it to pretty much everything someone said in a thread, along with it being abusive spamming.

Posted by on 2016-08-16 12:54:34

yeah, that was one of the few actual *real* trolls we've had here!

Posted by on 2016-08-16 17:57:39

I submit videos when I can.  But I have no way of taking videos really, so that's why I only use pictures of my console and nametag when I use my Flashback.

Posted by on 2016-08-16 22:13:21

@mechafatnick:

I agree.  I usually don't vote on Atari 2600 scores when they're in the A difficulty position and there's no video.  We don't know if the game was actually played on difficulty A.

Posted by on 2016-08-17 13:32:49

@DarrylB:

With Space Invaders, you can tell if the cannon is wide or not.  But yeah, you're right.

Posted by on 2016-08-17 21:08:16

@LarcenTyler:

Yeah, there's a few of them like that.  You can just switch the difficulty to the A position after a game and your cannon will get fat though and then you said you played it on A.

Posted by on 2016-08-17 22:54:08

Yeah, I forgot about that.

Posted by on 2016-08-17 23:12:49

@mechafatnick:

Sounds reasonable until one thinks about emulation. I made a video on this specifically. I show an Atari pluged in with power, actual mutiple Ataris with power and a pluged in game. Game was running on it except it was not the image on the TV as that was a jacks pacific that was displayed. This can be done with Nes Gens Snes all the way threw Wii and XBOX.

Again no user is required to post video of cords attached and playing the displayed image. It does help in the line of evidence though. So if users are not providing 100% info then in my opinion they do not earn 100% yes votes either. If this wax accounted for when receaving votes I personally think this thread would not exyst.

Posted by on 2016-08-19 02:07:42

I only joined here a few weeks ago to try to win the Atari contest (trying hard to catch up). I'm trying to upload videos as evidence as much as possible, but some games are too long to easily film, like Dark Chambers on the 7800. (waiting for the video to upload now, actually). My phone has decided in addition to uploading photo sideways, it decides an hour is the longest it will shoot video, so I had to pause the same, upload the video to my computer, delete it from my phone to make room for more video, start the recording, and unpause the game. 

I will keep the idea of showing the cords in mind as I make my evidence vids. I'm already showing my controller and the settings before i start now as much as possible.

Posted by on 2016-08-19 22:30:36

@DuggerVideoGames:

Not only that, few weeks ago, Derek and I caught Maelogmz using 3 continues while playing Varth: Operation Thunderstorm on MAME.  That was one violation right there, Christopher!

Posted by on 2016-10-11 01:51:23

@DuggerVideoGames:

So what you're really saying is that I have to upload a video of my gameplay to prove that I'm not violating the rules of this site.  Not trying to be totally defiant, but are you kidding me??  Are you really positive that HighScore.com is a video-only site?

Posted by on 2016-10-11 01:55:48

@ichigokurosaki1991:

No, I never said it's a video-only site; it's awfully rude of you to bump old topics for the sole purpose of wrongfully putting words into other people's mouths.

What I did say, however, was that it's too easy for people to cheat via multiple inputs on their TVs to give the illusion that they played the hardware when they really used saves states on their emulator.  At the very least, hardware categories should require video simply to show that the hardware itself is being played and that no save states were used on the hardware.  It's not entirely necessary in the emulation category; however, using video in the emulation category would help one's score get accepted and ease any concerns voters would have about the abuse of save states.

Nowhere did I ever say that this is a video-only site, but it goes a long way in helping one's scores get accepted more easily.  The defiant tone of people like Kane's posts are cause for suspicion; furthermore, you're in no position to be defiant about the use of video considering how much cheating you pulled off in your pic-only submissions.  It's quite possible you cheated on every trophy you ever achieved on this site.  So the onus is doubly on you to use videos!

Posted by on 2016-10-11 10:19:06

@DuggerVideoGames: I've been doing videos lately and sorry about my rudeness, man.
Posted by on 2016-10-11 11:12:32